Matthew Perry, Friends actor, reportedly died due to the "acute effects" of ketamine.

Ketamine is commonly used in anaesthesia and some antidepressants when administered in a controlled and therapeutic manner. 

Dr. Shaunak Ajinkya, a Psychiatrist at Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai, states that ketamine is safe when used under authorized and controlled conditions. 

Ketamine is also known to be misused as a psychedelic party drug by individuals involved in substance abuse. 

Perry was undergoing ketamine infusion therapy for depression, with a reduced intake leading up to his death. 

His last known infusion was about a week-and-a-half before his demise. 

The reported cause of death suggests a ketamine overdose leading to cardiovascular overstimulation and respiratory depression 

Perry had pre-existing health conditions, including diabetes and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), which may have contributed to complications. 

Ketamine misuse can exacerbate airflow blockage and respiratory issues, especially in individuals with pre-existing health conditions. 

It is crucial to use ketamine only under the supervision of authorized medical professionals to minimize the risk of adverse effects.