World Tourism Day 2023 : a globally recognized event, is set to take place on September 27th. This annual celebration is dedicated to the promotion of tourism on a global scale.
Initiated by the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), World Tourism Day serves as a vital platform for advocating the importance of tourism and its positive impact. It encourages people to embrace the joy of exploring the diverse corners of our planet, making it an incredibly significant occasion.
- Advertisement -
What is the theme of World Tourism Day 2023 ?
World Tourism Day 2023, under the theme “Tourism and Green Investment” as declared by UNWTO, spotlights the urgent need for more focused and sustainable investments aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which serve as the UN’s roadmap for a better world by 2030.
The focus is on fostering innovative solutions, going beyond conventional investments to support economic growth and productivity.
World Tourism Day 2023 Significance ?
World Tourism Day holds substantial significance by raising awareness about the profound impact of tourism on the social, political, economic, and cultural values of the global community. It underscores the pivotal role tourism plays in bolstering a nation’s economy and enhancing its global image.
This event serves as a platform to highlight the numerous advantages of tourism. Notably, this year’s World Tourism Day event will be led by Bali’s tourism sector, with invitations extended to representatives from UNWTO member states.
- Advertisement -
World Tourism Day 2023 History ?
The inaugural World Tourism Day was observed in 1980. As a globally recognized day dedicated to tourism, it offers an opportunity to celebrate the sector’s crucial role in promoting peace and prosperity.
UNWTO’s various global regions take turns hosting the official celebrations, always centered around a pertinent and timely theme.
The concept of World Tourism Day was introduced by the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) in 1979, with official celebrations commencing in 1980.
The date, September 27th, was chosen because it marks the anniversary of the adoption of UNWTO’s Statutes. In 1997, UNWTO decided to celebrate the day in different host countries each year. Initially, World Tourism Day focused on promoting tourism as a whole, with a central theme for each commemoration.
Which country will host World Tourism Day 2023 ?
Saudi Arabia will be the host country for World Tourism Day 2023, with the official festivities set to occur on September 27th in Riyadh, the nation’s capital.
The central theme chosen for World Tourism Day 2023 is “Tourism and Green Investment.”
- Advertisement -
As part of the event in Riyadh, the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) will unveil its Global Tourism Investment Framework. Additionally, the UNWTO has organized a series of high-level panel discussions that will focus on exploring both the challenges and opportunities associated with investments within the tourism sector.
The theme selected for World Tourism Day 2023 underscores the critical necessity for more substantial and precisely directed investments in key areas, including human capital, environmental sustainability, and overall economic well-being.
What activities can be done on World Tourism Day ?
World Tourism Day is celebrated annually on September 27th, providing an excellent opportunity to partake in various activities and festivities. Here are some enjoyable activities you can engage in to celebrate World Tourism Day:
- Virtual Tours: Embark on virtual journeys to renowned tourist destinations, enabling you to immerse yourself in different cultures and explore landmarks from the comfort of your own home.
- Cultural Festivals: Join or attend cultural festivals that celebrate the rich traditions and heritage of diverse regions, offering a glimpse into their unique customs.
- Food Festivals: Delight your taste buds with the diverse flavors of international cuisines. Attend food festivals or try your hand at preparing international recipes at home.
- Competitions: Participate in creative competitions such as essay writing, drawing, singing, and quiz contests centered around travel and tourism, showcasing your talents and knowledge.
- Photo Exhibitions: Immerse yourself in captivating photo exhibitions featuring stunning images of tourist destinations, igniting your wanderlust and appreciation for photography.
- Illumination of Tourist Monuments: Witness the enchanting illumination of iconic tourist landmarks, adding a touch of magic to the celebrations and highlighting their beauty.
- Excellency Awards: Recognize and celebrate excellence within the tourism industry by acknowledging outstanding contributions and achievements.
In addition, you can commemorate World Tourism Day by:
- Organizing a “Tourist for a Day” Team-Building Event: Encourage your team or group to dress up as tourists and explore your local area from a fresh perspective, fostering teamwork and creativity.
- Hosting a Dinner in the Dark: Experience dining in complete darkness, heightening your sensory perception and gaining insight into the challenges faced by visually impaired individuals.
- Enjoying a Night of Board Games, Card Games, or Book Readings in Candlelight: Create a cozy ambiance and spend quality time with loved ones, engaging in games or enjoying literature by the warm glow of candlelight.